Friday, February 3

HyperTENSION

Yesterday morning was crazy. I shot up to Bo yellin "Hun, can't you heeeeaaaar me? I've been calling you forever?" Mind you, I was sleeping in a completely different room so how COULD I have? Anyway, so he's been having the WORST migraines for a few days straight and I did a horrible thing and kind of just ignored it...not necessarily on purpose, but, you know, I work and am a mom and wife and yadda yadda. Point is, I failed to acknowledge it early on. So it's about 4am and hunny is holding his head in pain, so I take him to the ER. Mind you x2, I have to be at work @ 645 am and have no way of finding coverage since I WAS the coverage. I ended up leaving him there to run to work, didn't even have time to shower (just change, gross) but my co-workers will never know. Anyway, so Bo's blood pressure was something like 188/120. WOW! Normal is 140/90. I cannot. Just to be safe, they took x-rays on his chest/lungs and did a CT scan to make sure there wasn't anything wrong in his head (I can think of a few things), but luckily those tests came out ok. The final culprit: HYPERTENSION which was causing HYPERTENSIVE HEADACHES.

Ugh, what a headache indeed. I don't know how many years I have warned my husband about drinking and smoking (yes, they are factors) and overeating (probably the biggest factor). Yes, we Polynesians love our salty, rich in fat and high in cholesterol/carbs food but enough is enough. He is too young to stroke out and leave me caring for a paraplegic... (knock on wood). So it's time to get serious and get out of this rut. No gut. Skinny butt. You know the deal. I've got to be the agressor (as usual) and start crackin' the whip.

First step: I bought a blender to make healthy juices/smoothies and already, even my Lole loves it. Bo, not so much...but that will come with time. This morning I made him a smoothie out of 1 banana, about 4-5 strawberries (cut and froze them last night) and a handful of fresh baby spinach. Add 2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt and a bit of ice, and voila. Lovingly he looks at the green mess and says, "I hope I don't faint from all those nutirents!" Lol. Pretty sooon!

Next step: Food journal, documenting everything we eat. (Yup, I'm getting on this train too)

More steps in no particular order: Get on DoTerra High Blood Pressure regiment (first I have to buy the vitamins and all the oils, might take a while since they're so expensive), exercise at least 30 mins a day (no exceptions), gather healthy food recipes, cut out fast foods/eating out except for on special occasions (I'm gonna miss you SUSHIYA), snack healthily between meals, completely eliminate soda, cut down on fried/salty foods, and drink lots and lots of water.  I know this is not rocket science, but it's still hard and takes a lot of motivation. So all you heatlhy, fit, carb/calorie conscious friends of mine out there, HELP A SISTA OUT. I am open to all of your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

5 comments:

Ui said...

girl scary! nothing like a health scare to get in that mode! kudos to u for taking that initiative! may i recommend meat substitutes. morning star makes great burgers and chicken patties and they are half the calories of regular burgers...and they taste great! also...any white fish is good too! props to a healthier new year!

Nena said...

Sis, I have high blood pressure and horrible migraines too. First off, he needs to lose weight ASAP. He needs to get on a good exercise plan and change his diet - cut back on meat, smoking, alcohol, etc. There are a lot of good medications that will help lower blood pressure and help with migraines. I am taking something called Inderol that helps lower blood pressure and also helps prevent migraines - it helps with my blood pressure but didn't help at all with my migraines so the doctor gave me something called topamax. The topamax worked wonders for the migraines - it almost cut them out completely and actually helps to lose weight as well. So far I've lost 20 pounds. High blood pressure is an early symptom of heart disease, take this as a warning sign and a blessing in disguise. It is God's way and Bo's body's way of telling him it's time to make a necessary change. Most people don't get this warning sign until it's too late and they die of a massive heart attack. Health foods won't do anything if they aren't followed by a change in diet and exercise as well as taking daily medications and cutting out smoking and alcohol (I don't know if he smokes, not trying to make assumptions just in case he does). Sis, I am praying for you & Bo and I pray that you guys get through this. I know how tough it can be to go through health issues (trust me, this year has been one after the other for me). Keep your head up and keep praying, and keep up with all of your doctors appointments and make sure your doctor makes a referral to see a cardiologist ASAP. He needs to get an ultrasound/stress test of his heart. Don't take no for an answer.

Nena said...

Cut out ALL fast food and ALL fried foods. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. It was hard for me at first - I used to eat alot of junk food and fast food but now I am eating more healthy foods and smaller portions. The topamax takes away my appetite for the most part so now I'm only eating 3 small meals a day about 1000 - 1200 calories a day. I make sure to eat small portions (a dessert or half a regular plate and no seconds) and I don't eat ANYTHING after 6 pm. I drink lots of water, a lot of natural fruit smoothies (I make them myself) and fruit salad for lunch - a sliced banana, some strawberries, blueberries, grapes, and maybe some blackberries. You should aim for at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Make sure you're getting enough fiber as well. I know it sucks having to cut out all of the fried and fatty foods (especially since they taste so good!) but you have to realize your life is at stake. It seems like it's a never ending battle and I have to work hard every day but I know that the sacrifice is keeping me healthy and alive.

Emerson Experiment said...

Perhaps you and Bo can follow Dad's diet? the HEART patient one? cabbage soup for days, just to get started...

We all care about you both and a healthier you=happier you.

evotia said...

Thanx for sharing ur experience. Scary as it was. We are too young of a generation to be experiencing these things. It took 2 emergency room scares before my hubby finally "got it!" For him, his headaches and whole disposition was affected by sleep apnea. If your hubby is overweight, chances are he has sleep apnea and doesn't even realize it. We did sleep studies and found out my husband stopped breathing about 30 times within a 6 hour period!!! Which in turn means his HEART STOPPED all those times. Can u imagine how many other ways his body was affected by it. It was hard to convince him that the cpap machine was what he needed.. but after a week of PURE SLEEP, I've never seen a happier guy! Come to find out, my Dad.. all 3 of his brothers.. my Mom's brothers.. and a few other relatives all suffer from the same. We are a brand new family with brand new people who are finally giving their bodies the oxygen and sleep their heart so desires. CHECK IT OUT with your doctor. Ours stated that so many Poly's suffer from it because the way our bodies our built. Sadly, many pass from it too.
Many crack jokes about the whole thing, but I feel I am responsible for spreading the word on sleep apnea. Something as simple as wearing a mask at night can save a life!

Wishing you guys all the luck in this new journey!!