Sunday, August 2

Eddie Boy

On Jul 13th, my classmate and brutha (by way of my sister marrying his older brother, and me marrying his cousin) Eddie aka "Chump" was hit by a car right across my house on our only highway. It happened at night (on a very lively, busy one at that) and apparently, neither he, nor the driver saw each other while he was crossing the road. I have never witnessed anything like it, from the sounds of the car crashing into his body (as if it were two cars colliding), to the dead silence as he lay there, practically lifeless, with so many people watching. Kakela Beach Park was filled with people attending the Fonoimoana Reunion camp, which is directly across my house where some of my husband's friends and cousins (including Eddie) were kicking it after a rugby tourney. He was hit at full speed, (meaning the car did not brake until after he was hit) so his injuries were quite serious.

Upon arriving to the hospital, Eddie's condition was critical. Doctors said that his lungs had collapsed, his ankles and hip were broken, his spleen and liver were injured and worst of all, he had bleeding in the brain. We went the very next morning to Queens to visit, and he was still undergoing tests and scans and very heavily sedated, with tubes and wires protruding from his body. By then, the bleeding in his brain had stopped, but there was still swelling, and no one knew what his condition would be once the pain meds wore off. After about 2 weeks in ICU, he is finally free of his feeding/breathing tubes, and currently out of ICU. He is able to talk and understand what you say, but his dialogging can get a bit random--his sister calls it mumbling--so it made me a little sad to not be able to crack jokes with him like usual. Plus, he's lost so much weight...but even with that said, he is making GREAT progress considering the trauma his body has gone through. As it turns out, not even one surgery is needed, though doctors were pretty sure they'd at least have to operate on the hip and possibly the brain. Upon visiting him today after not seeing him for over a week, he recognized Bo and I right away, so we were so happy! His dreads are still in tact (though he did mention that he needed to cut them) and he had us cracking up because he kept telling Bo to get ready so they can go cause he needs to get outta there!! He even made swimming/fishing comments (some of his fav pastimes), played thumb games with his nephew Moses, and told Laila that she was fat. haha.

Eddie is very close to me and Bo and he is always there for us whenever we ask anything of him. Our prayer is that he continues to improve through physical rehabilitation, and the continued support and understanding from loved ones. His big sister Dawn has been Eddie's rock through it all, and I believe that his smooth recovery has a lot to do with her spiritual strength and optimism. Tonight as I was beginning to complain and HATE the world because I'm so sick of coughing, my neck/back pains, headache and menstrual cramps, the image of Eddie chatting it up with us from a hospital bed, quickly humbled me. In many ways, I am so DEAD, but today's visit has made me realize I need to really work on being more ALIVE, in my thoughts, in my actions, and in my outlook on everything. Wishing "Eddie Boy" (as my husband calls him) a speedy recovery!!!

Eddie's sister Dawn, Laila, Bo and "Chump"

5 comments:

Maren said...

Oh no not Eddie! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! I'll keep him in my prayers, I hope he continues to recover! Get Well Soon Eddie!

The Songer said...

So glad to hear he's doing better!

Thanks for the updates throughout!

and your so right about it being such a humbling experience, I too have complained about things and then think about others who are so happy just to be alive!

Nena said...

It's ironic how something like this can put everything in perspective. I'm sorry that he had to go through this & although I don't know him, I thank God he is recovering & going to be all right. I will pray for him that he continues to a full and speedy recovery. Take care & God bless.

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness! What an horrible thing to occur and witness! Thanks Heavens that he's alive and recovering. I'm sure it's an humbling experience for all!

evotia said...

Oh wow! I haven't seen Eddie since high school. Considering the track record the North Shore has with car accidents...it is great to hear he is on the road to recovery!