Thursday, August 6

Lole's First Day of Preschool


This day has been long-awaited, and I have many mixed feelings. Lole has been my constant companion for four years...and I cannot say that I don't miss her dearly, nor can I deny a sense of longing for my girl who is growing up WAY...TOO...FAST! This morning, I woke her up to get ready and immediately she began to whimper (as in recent days leading up to this one, when the subject of her going to school came up). We showered together and I put on her clothes that I had ironed early this morning. I offered breakfast but she didn't want anything to eat, and we were off to 7-11 to buy her lunch. I was supposed to make her homemade musubis but someone ate the last can of spam, so I was dissappointed that her first school lunch was all storebought. Oh well! When we got to school, she kept saying that she didn't want to go, and I just wanted to cave and tell her I didn't want her to go too! Then, when she saw another kid crying as his dad left, she started to cry again! It was so hard to watch her cry, but I had to assure her that she'd be fine and that she would have a great time. Leaving her was tricky, so I walked around the classroom for a little bit, showing her all the cool toys and activities, the bathroom, the teachers, etc. As soon as one of the aids had her attention, I knew I had to make my escape.

Spending the morning with just my 6 month old was bittersweet. On the one hand, Laila has my full attention for a few hours a day, on the other, Lole is terribly missed. I have no one to keep a quick eye on Laila while I run to the restroom, kitchen, or laundry. I will miss our arguments/conversations and while I probably won't miss hearing Disney channel all day, I'll miss the noise and her constant entertainment! It's almost her school lunch time, so I'm wishing I were there to watch her take her first bite, make and play with new friends and learn something new. When her dad called to see how everything went, I started crying like a baby! Lol. Luckily her school is right down the road, like a 2 min drive from here, because I cannot wait to pick her up!

So glad her best friend and cousin is in her class!!!

4 comments:

evotia said...

hang in there, mamas! i promise it gets better the more they go... sometimes to the point where you appreciate the little break. i commend you for being her first teacher these last 4 years. she is going to breeze thru pre-school!!

azha said...

oka i remember those days! Im kind of happy because my tauhi who is 6 now still gets teary eyed when he leaves his mommy! This year it was as if it were his first day too! So feel you Tala they grow up so fast! Enjoy sis! I know I am I dont even want to go to work and wouldnt if I didnt have to! But hang in there Isnt it funny how we ask for a break and then when the kids are gone we dont know wat to do with ourselves! I love my kids sooooo much and I too get sad to see them grow up so quickly! Better take this time and spend it wisely with laila cuz soon enough she will be going to school too! Love ya sis!

Rachey-Foo said...

good job, mommy, for NOT caving in!! lol. i cannot imagine watching my girl cry and having to tell her, "it's ok..." when really your heart is breaking inside. you are fantastic!! and Lole looks very happy in her pictures so obviously, she'll be just fine.

:)

violetsky photo said...

She's darling Tala! Sooo cute. My baby girls first day of preschool is september 9th. Wish me luck :)