Wednesday, May 5

Tagiilima Togiai

while watching tv this afternoon, my sis-in-law heard the faint sound of crying coming from somewhere downstairs. at first i thought i was hearing things, and then i just started running when i realized it was not crying, but wailing. the sounds got louder towards the side of the house, and sure enough, there under the ulu tree sat my aunty L (bo's mom's sister) who was on the phone. i was scared. i thought something had happened to her or her husband (who wasn't there), because what else could make a woman cry so painfully? even though I had NO idea what her reasons were just yet, my aunt's "oiaue's" were enough to break my heart into a million pieces. she could barely get out a sentence, when asked what was wrong, and as i hugged her close, she screamed something in tongan, and then it became clear when she uttered the word "mate" (die/dead)...and then her granddaughter's name, "Tagi."
this is the story and the video coverage of what happened to our dear niece, our aunty's granddaughter. 
aunty L and her husband T bloomfield have been living with us since '08 because they love it here, but their real home is in west valley, utah, where their granddaughter died today. my heart grieves for all the family members, even tagi's great-grandmother (aunty L's mom), who was left to care for the children when this tragedy occurred. i cried a lot for aunty L, for the sorrow in her face, and the pain in her voice...how every so often she would just break down in rounds of "oiaue".  i cried thinking about the pain all adult parties have, because we are a people of conscience, and when things like this happen to children, there is always a burden of guilt...of "what if?" but mostly, i cried for tagi. i know she is in a better place now, but how alone and scared tagi must have been...oh, it is unbearable to think about what she suffered in her last moments.

lole played with tagi 2 summers ago when they visited from utah. they were around the same age. tagi was quiet, but unafraid. she rarely cried. she is survived by her tongan mother, elesi (elsie) bloomfield and her samoan father, junior togiai and her 4 other siblings. she is one of (just about) 40 of aunty L's grandchildren. she will be sorely missed, and my prayer is that all of tagi's family may be comforted by the Savior's healing power and the love of our Heavenly Father.

rest in peace baby girl.  xxx

view her obituary here.

7 comments:

Nena said...

OMG! I cried after reading this. I'm so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Give your aunty a big hug for me and let her know my prayers are with her.

Kahilau said...

My prayers are for peace also. What a tragedy! Wow, life is so precious.

kuaback said...

im tearing up here and I'm at work. My heart breaks for you and your family. What a gorgeous lil girl. Rest in Love hunnie. xoxo

Leslie said...

My heart hurts for your family and I know that she's in the arm of a big brother and her Heavenly Father.

hine.T said...

My heart aches for your family. Shennan was saddened too to read about it, even though he didn't know anyone related. Our thoughts & prayers are with your loved ones.

Emerson Experiment said...

That is soooo sad:( I'm gonna go hide all the lighters and matches right this minute. RIP little one!

laninaki said...

So, so, so, so sad. We heard about this last weekend. Poor little girl.