Wednesday, June 17

Vacay or Staycay

For the longest time now, my husband and I have been planning to take a family vacation next month. Our hope was that we would just enjoy some much needed time away from Hawaii and visit families in Cali and Utah. However, due to this recession, Bo hasn't been working steadily pretty much since Jan, and company jobs aren't really looking up until somewhere around August. Now as much as I would LOVE to get away and build fun memories with my family elsewhere, I am also a realist. I am the one who worries about bills and "rainy days" whereas my husband's view of money is that it "comes and goes" (therefore, it's ok to let it go...often...no matter the quantity). Even before this recession, I have always been very thrifty, cheap if you will, and have learned to eliminate my wants for only the basic of needs (most times).

I hate to be a ball-buster, but I cannot justify going on a vacation after my husband has been at home and without work. Up until yesterday, he thought I was still game, but I kindly made a suggestion that we postpone or cancel indefinitely. I heard the term "Staycation" and for us that means stay your butt home and create some kind of vacation on the island. It may not be the 'cation of our dreams, but it seems to be the smarter, wiser choice. There are so many places both of us have never been on Oahu (separately and together) and that includes beaches, lookouts, and other tourist attractions. Not only that, many hotels are discounting their prices to make up for the slow influx of visitors to Hawaii.

I'm still not 100% sure on which one will actually take place, staycation or vacation, but if it has to be...WAIKIKI HERE WE COME!

7 comments:

Rachey-Foo said...

i totally understand!! and i think a staycation will be tons of fun as long as you are making memories as a family. right? :) so enjoy Waiks!! sometimes it's fun to play tourist!! love ya!

Maren said...

Totally do the staycay. LOTS of fun things to do on Oahu! :) Enjoy!

Sibbett_Ohana said...

wowzer!! As long as you guys are on the island when we come out there. LOL. But, whatever you two decide, as long as your spending some awesome FUN time with your family.

evotia said...

tala, i deal w/hotels all day! don't be afraid to call and ask for a lower rate. they are willing to deal these days. we do it all day at work and surprisingly, we've managed to drop down our rates $50 below what's posted. staycations are great as long as you remember you're on vacation. so stay out of your normal routine as much as possible!! hope you have fun!

A.Niu said...

Sass Just be like me and view ward camp as a vacay... We will be camping July 17th. so make no plans for then cause its going to be a vacay that you will never forget:)

Leslie said...

I agree with you and enjoy what many people spend ton of money to see in your own backyard.

laninaki said...

At least your "Staycation" is in Hawaii....and, even though it's more of the same for you, it's a lot prettier than what we've got going on in other parts of the country.