Wednesday, April 29

FLU CRAZY

"So far so good we still living today
But we don't know what tomorrow brings
In this crazy world"
-Lucky Dube

I haven't been blogging much because I've been sick for 3 weeks. I only went to the doctor after 2 weeks of coughing and a night of fever & body aches, and was told last week that I'd feel better in 2 days. (Uh, yah, still waiting.) The diagnosis was strep throat, something I get at least once EVERY year, but with the current SWINE FLU outbreak, it's scary to think that our regular flu season could take a turn for the worst because so many in our community are getting sick.

In the Honolulu Advertiser, there's an article about "possible" swine flu cases that are currently awaiting test results on our islands. Govt officials are talking about screening airline passengers coming into Hawaii as a means of prevention, and urging people not to stock-pile anti-viral flu medications. Supposedly, we are well prepared (compared to other states) with our airport "surveillance" system, briefly described as a "system that relies on airline crews to identify potentially ill passengers." (Wow, GENIUS!) Lingle is urging people not to panic, but to be ready just in case, but really, if that's all Hawaii has PLANNED for a possible pandemic, we are SCREWED. (Not that it would get this bad, but can anyone envision another KALAUPAPA?)

In response to the above mentioned Honolulu Advertiser article, one reader suggested that the virus was created by the govt to wipe out the elderly and the "weak", thus easing the economy by reducing the burden on Social Security & Health Care. (LOL)

This morning, a friend posted this article on Facebook, that connects the Swine Flu virus to American owned pig factories in Xaltepec, Mexico, a very possible "Ground Zero" along with these VERY TELLING pictures. ("For the love of money is the root of all evil..." 1 Tim 6:10)

While in town at the Social Security Office today (no I wasn't trying to claim early benefits), I saw one oriental lady with a mask on and it reminded me of the SARS scare from a few years ago. Also in that same office, there was a young mother with her infant, and an elderly woman who looked to be her mom. When a man coughed behind them, the younger woman and her mom exchanged looks, and grandma quickly swooped up baby and took him outside. I guess I should've done that too, seeing as my child was sitting right in my lap, but I didn't. I mean hello, I've been coughing around my infant for 3 weeks already, so what good would that have done?!

I don't know about you, but all this hysteria and the conspiracy theories that surround it are so CRAZY I have to laugh, and NOT because people are falling ill/dying everyday, but because if I don't I WILL GO (FLU)CRAZY, paranoid and panicky! Personally, I don't think that closing our American borders is the answer(seeing as the virus is already IN the US AND because we've been so unsuccessful in attempting this throughout our history). Apparently, neither is the FLU vaccine, because in some cases it's been known to have worse affects on people than the actual virus. Even if we did have one for this particular strain, viruses MUTATE, da buggahs! Education and prevention is the key, but what is your take? Propaganda...Conspiracy...Coincidence...Signs of the Times? I mean, what else can we do but wash our hands religiously and pray even more vigorously!?

We are living in....living in....THIS CRAZY WORLD!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

It doesn't surprise me that the world is crazy! I hope you get better!

hine.T said...

Garanz my mind went straight to Kalaupapa! LOL! Anywho my work (mental hospital of UT) already put in place precautions & they've been freakin' out for the last 2 days...so in turn freakin' me out. One of the nurses I spoke with (& she's behind this sorta hysteria) said to just keep washing hands and keep your kids clear of those who are coughing/sneezing. Should be ok! My main concern is that this flu is potentially fatal to children...and i ONLY HAVE small children. Boo! So we'll see. I'm just going thru coupons to find soaps on sale to stock up. LOL!

Ok I don't know what I just typed...surely bubbles...but it is late & I have a follow-up ultra-sound in da early A.M. so i must be talking bubbles now. LMAO! Good night!!!

Sibbett_Ohana said...

YES..YES..YES..Its a scary thought and my do people have theories galor about everything happening. I get freaked out just thinking about the swine flu but i guess i don't haft to worry cause all do is sit at home ALL DAY!!! I guess theres benefits that huh!! But wash wash wash....

Sibbett_Ohana said...

Hi Sass,

How you feeling?? Still sick??? Anywho I was just wondering...how do you frame just one picture. I did the edit html thing and changed border but then it did not show up once i saved it...help...Love ya