Thursday, May 28

Mother's Day

After Nalu's baptism (see previous posts), that same night our ward had a Mother's Day party. They served prime rib and shrimp and I literally did not come up for air until mine and my husband's plates (and several pieces of cake) were done. What? It was a long day! Anyway, that night my father-in-law (and his fai-kava-singing buddies) serenaded us with a traditional Mother's Day Tongan song, dedicated it to my mother-in-law, and then dug out to go to fai-kava. Chee hoo, what a guy! We also enjoyed the smooth sounds of Uncle Benny Kai, and some beautiful hula dancing.

The next morning I forced myself to go to church (tired as I was) because the night before someone had told us at the party that the Primary was going to sing in sacrament. Now you know that I am a frequent "cutter" because had I known this, I would've been working with Lole at home and teaching her the words instead of trying to jam the tune into her head an hour before church starts. (Yah I know, I'm FIRED!) She was a little nervous to sit up on stage without us, but there were no tears/drama, she was reverent, and when they sang, she mouthed the words the best she could, meanwhile flashing the biggest smile back at me. It was the HIGHLIGHT of my day.

Afterward we went to Ted's Bakery to get my mom, my sister and my mother-in-law some pies/cakes, since I didn't get any leis for them. (I am soooooo not a lei person, or a flower person...food or money, that's my preference. Lol.) So after delievering their goods, we agreed to rerturn to my sister's house for some lasagna, salad, garlic bread and sweets later on (was onos), but not before enjoying a wonderful lunch cooked by my mother-in-law.

Although my husband apologized for not getting me anything special, he DID come to church and that is always a gift in itself. He also made up for it a week later by taking me to Red Lobster for lunch, but by the picture you would think it was Father's Day instead.

Again, what a fun weekend that was, especially being able to celebrate Mother's Day WITH MY MOM. I haven't done so in over 10 years, so this was indeed special. My mom is truly the backbone of the family, and I have always known/admired her strength. She brings truth to the saying that "Behind every great man there's a great woman" as I have witnessed many times over, though I'd like to say that she is "NEXT" to my father rather than behind. Recently I have seen the tender way in which she "carries" my Dad (emotionally, and sometimes physically) and to me, there is no truer love than the one that NEVER leaves your side. Mom is a ROCK and she will always be my example of faith, endurance, and self-less love. Miss and love you mama!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm glad you had a great Mother's Day and miss Laie's Mother's Day meal that the ward does. The photo of your mom with the grandkids is percious!

Sibbett_Ohana said...

WOW!! yOUR Dinner looked DERISHOUS!!! And love love love the picture with Grandma and the Grandchildren

Rachey-Foo said...

all the pics are beautiful! especially the FOOD one!! lol. yummy! we went to Red Lobster just last week and was ONO!!! mmm!