Tuesday, January 12

Backtracking: Christmas

Just so I can remind myself NOT to be like this in 2010, I was a complete SCROOGE this past Christmas. I tried to get into the mood; I went to 2 ward parties, put up the tree and all of Lole's cute decorations from school, but when you don't have it in you, YOU JUST DON'T. It doesn't help that my husband didn't grow up with any holiday traditions, but I guess that shouldn't be an excuse for me not to make any for my own. Aside from the tree in the corner, you probably wouldn't even KNOW it was Christmas in our house, but I did muster a store bought graham cracker house (what is the story behind gingerbread houses anyway?) and Eve PJ's.

Lole was great this year. She now knows that Christmas is Jesus' birthday (and learned about Mary and Joseph) and when asked what she wanted to give to Him, she said "Transformers." Even though I was such a grump, I was glad that she got excited everyday we got closer to Christmas morning. All she wanted was "pretend make-up" which her favorite cousin got for her, and a barbie (which I have seen her play with only once).

It was so funny to watch Laila's reaction to the Christmas tree. First, she refused to crawl anywhere near it and would scold it from afar. Then, after getting used to the tree she wouldn't stop taking the ornaments off. By Christmas day, the whole bottom of the tree was bare.


Maybe it was our budget, maybe it was the horrible year we had...either way I know I need to do way better for my kids. And by that, I don't mean materially. I mean more tradition, more meaningful gifts, more desired company, more of the spirit of Christmas. Thank goodness redemption is a gift, because I can't wait for a lot better "next time". 

1 comment:

Rachey-Foo said...

i LOVE the girls in their pjs. SO cute!! sass, don't beat yourself up. they are SMILING in the pics, which means they''re happy. you're a great momma. sometimes we just have moments. no stress. :)