Tuesday, March 24

My President is ______

"Mr. Black President, yeah Obama for real
They gotta put ya face on the 5000 dollar bill"



It's pretty exciting to witness our President in action, even though his term has barely started and the repair work on our nation is just scratching the surface. This video came out after Obama won the election and I've seen it and heard the song 100 times. I couldn't help but wonder if our Pres. elect has ever seen it, and if so, whether or not he sings along! Lol. I know it's such a random thought and although catchy, the song is the artist's (Young Jeezy's) portrayal of what Obama in office symbolizes for him, and maybe not all can relate. Obama being black has never been an influence in my decision to vote for him...he could've been purple for all I cared. But the song makes me wonder if white America takes offense to the idea of our Pres being labeled as black when he is also white? Did anyone write a song called "My President is Half-White"?

I've read that Obama refers to himself as African-American, like I am Samoan-American (of Samoan descent, but raised in America), but should the correct term for him be "African-Caucasian-American"? And if that's the case, should white people say they are "Caucasian-American"? Hmmm...just things I think about, I mean really what does it matter in these hard times as long as he doesn't give AIG anymore money. I'll just make it easy on myself and label him HAWAIIAN (since he's a product of our lovely islands) and write a song called "Eh Bah, my Prez stay from Hawaii!"

4 comments:

Kaitlin said...

funny that you metion this...during the election i wondered why so many people cared that he was Black because he is also White...

NeenaLove said...

lmbo.... u r a NUT!!! that was a funny post. since i'm at work i couldn't check the video. maybe when my boss leaves, i'll check it out.

super funny post!!

Shanae said...

your family is HOT!!! Very good looking :) I would love to schedule a shoot with you. Let me know which day is best for you and I can work with it. I am a stay at home mom so my schedule is very flexible. I am excited, especially with a little one, I love to photograph babies :) YAY, I am excited. You can also call me to schedule at 808-223-1955.

Molly said...

oh tala...what a can of worms...Actually, for some reason, it doesn't bother me so much about the president, but when other people don't acknowledge that they are part white, it bugs me. I want my kids to be proud of BOTH sides of them, not just Sa's side. I just think that we all have some incredible ancestors from both of our parents' sides and if we only say we are one thing, then we act as if those ancestors mean nothing to us and who we are...I don't know...I just want my kids to be just as proud of being white as they are of being Samoan. A lot of people I know who are mixed kind of brush off the fact that they are white...like they are ashamed of it. I want my kids to be proud of the decision Sa and I made to be an inter-racial couple. Does that make sense?