Thursday, March 19

OUCH. THAT HURT.

Those were the words I uttered after leaving the Canon Activities Center in Laie, and it wasn't because my butt was sore from sitting on the bleachers. In front of a crowd of over 4,000 (WOW!), the BYUH Mens Basketball team lost their chance to the BIG 16 in last night's regional conference matchup. It was an upsetting game considering we were up by as many as 13 or so points and led throught the whole game up until the last few minutes. Whoever heard of CAL POLY POMONA anyway? In my opinion, CPP didn't deserve to win, but such is the nature of competition...you win some, you lose some (a concept my husband doesn't understand). He left the game so disgruntled and angry because he said "I didn't sit uncomfortably for NOTHING", and demanded we leave AS SOON as the buzzer deemed us LOSERS. I, on the other hand, LIVE for this type of heart-wrenching matches, and found the game entertaining and the loss stunning. But that doesn't take away from the loyalty I give to my Seasiders, who much like the Kahuku Boys Bbball team, had so much talent but suffered an amazing season-ender. (They only lost once prior to last night's game.) That's the difference between Bo and I...he carries no loyalty to BYUH or Kahuku HS being from the mainland, but win or lose, I take pride in our North Shore athletes whether high school, college, elementary...it doesn't matter, even if I'm there or not.

This being the first BYUH game I've watched all season, I was really impressed with Juniors
Lucas Alez, the Pac-West player of the year (out of Brazil)
and

Virgil "JR" Buensuceso, the baddest ball-handler on the team (out of California).

Because of them, I'm definitely coming back next season, but sheesh, that still hurt...

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I bet you bottom did hurt but it was for a good cause! lol!!

A.Niu said...

Okay Im such a coach's athlete, Cause I hurt way more with a lose then i feel happy with a win. I could talk to my kids or explain to shaun what happened at the game for about 1 hour. I was in shock and broken hearted all over again. WTH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Thanks for stopping by my blog, Daughters of Samoa. I love this post about the Seasiders losing at the regionals, and I totally sympathize with your husband. I love that line, "I didn't sit uncomfortably for nothing" very funny. BTW I should tell you I'm a BYU-H grad, Go Seasiders:-).