Saturday, October 4

Counting my BLESSINGS

Tonight, Bo and I watched one of those ER shows on DISCOVER HEALTH where we saw an infant fight for his life because not only was he born prematurely (only 29 wks), but also through his mother's carelessness tested positive for cocaine. Sadly, we also watched 2 men come into the ER with stab wounds from their respective "women" and one of them didn't make it through. But what hit home for me was to see a child (who looked the age of my daughter) struggle for life as ER docs tried to resuscitate her after being found at the bottom of a pool. My heart broke and I felt a renewed sense of responsibility to Lole (as well as my unborn child) to do my best not to take them for granted. Too often we leave our children unattended (sometimes even just for a few mins) or delegate others to nurture and protect them, when it is our charge as mothers to do so in the first place. I admit that I have taken this duty lightly at times like when I 'm lazy to buckle her up because we're just driving down the street, or when I leave her outside playing by herself so I can do a quick task that probably could wait (even though we live right off busy Kam Hwy). I am so grateful for times like this where I am REMINDED to count my blessings and literally/prayerfully/physically thank God for them. I am truly LUCKY.

2 comments:

Kaitlin said...

great reminder

"Love or Perish" - W. H. Auden said...

KAIT WE'RE HAVING ANOTHER GIRL! ps: invite me to your blog coz i can't get on!!!! loledolce@gmail.com